Back 2 School – Health Checklist
Every January millions of Australian children, including some of our very own patients, go back to school. With fresh books and polished shoes, it is a very exciting time. While our kids are busy learning their times tables, developing, and growing it is also important for our kids to be mindful of their health and wellbeing in the classroom across the year.
While most parents and children have a checklist of stationery, books and supplies for starting the school year, we are providing our patients with a ‘Back to School Health Checklist.’ The checklist, developed as part of the Australian Chiropractors Association’s (ACA) Back to School Campaign, is a great way to encourage kids to build healthy habits at school and at home.
They are quick and simple to follow and can be easily incorporated into your child’s everyday routine. For instance, packing a healthy lunch filled with lots of fruit and veggies, getting 60 minutes of daily physical activity and wearing the backpack correctly by carrying it with both straps.
The Health Checklist also reminds kids to reduce their recreational screen time, sit correctly in the classroom and consider chiropractic care.
Kids don’t often think about the impact that common activities like sitting in a classroom, carrying a heavy school bag or even excessive screen time can have on their overall health and wellbeing – that’s where the checklist comes in handy!
Below is the Back To School Checklist:
- Consider a chiropractic check up
- Wear your bag with both straps, pack only the essential items and pack heaviest items closer to the spine
- Secure the waist and chest bag straps
- Pack a healthy and nutritious lunch
- Drink enough water
- In the classroom, sit with your shoulders back and relaxed, with both feet on the floor
- Try and reduce your screen time where possible
- Get at least 60 mins of exercise each day